2. Try to understand the test formats and rules: The students should try to familiarize with the various formats and rules associated with the tests. There are different versions and bands associated with the IELTS test. The student should read and try to understand what is expected in each one of them and handle the paper accordingly.
3. Choose an achievable goal: the student should try to set a realistic goal that matches one’s skills and proficiency. The efforts and preparations should be planned and designed according to the set out goals.
4. Practice sample question papers: The students should try to practice sample question papers that are available at the official websites of the examination conducting centre or with the private publishers. By practicing and evaluating the question papers the candidates can do the self evaluation and can get the feedback on the weak areas they need to focus on. It also helps in increasing the level of self confidence in the students. There should be regular practice sessions so that the students remain on the track and get maximum exposure before taking the real test.
5. Practicing the listening section: while preparing for the listening section the student should try to listen until the recording stops and then attempt the questions in the order in which they follow as they usually follow the flow of information and details.
6. Practicing the reading section: While practicing reading section the student should try to summarize or gain insight of the passage and never get struck on any particular word or phrase as would lead to further wastage of time.
7. Practicing the writing section: while practicing the writing section the student should plan, organize and then write the details about the topic. They should also try to adhere to the word limit.
8. Increase your speed for the exam: the students should work upon increasing the speed in attempting various sections in the IELTS exam. There is always a time constraint in the exam. Most of the students face a shortage of time in handling the exam effectively. So continuous practice can only help in building the confidence and the speed.
9. Improve your memorizing power: the students should try to improve the memorizing power so that they are able to remember and recall the words and phrases they listen to in the listening section as it is difficult to get back to the words missed out in the listening section. Moreover the activeness for a longer period of time is required as all the sections are conducted in a single day with very short interval of time. So concentration for long hours is an important requirement for IELTS exam.
10. Planning before the day of exam: The student should plan well before the day of exam about various aspects like how to reach the venue of exam well before time. He should plan the journey accordingly so as to avoid last minute hassle. He should take complete rest and avoid unwanted stress so as to be fresh and confident on the day of IELTS exam. He should also be well aware about various rules, important points related to the exam.
11. On the test day: on the day of IELTS exam the student should get ready well in advance and leave for the venue on time. The student should carry all the required documents and the stationary items along with to avoid any confusions and issues.
Hence by following the above mentioned instructions and following a balanced and regular study schedule it becomes easy to crack on the IELTS exam with flying results.